emunah, tefillah, a little mussar, and a shmeck of geula

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

They Belong To Him Alone



In EmunahSpeak: Swordfish, we asked from whence creative people derived their inspiration and we concluded that:

There is no muse, no inner voice, no well spring of creativity from which writers, composers, artists, and the like draw their inspiration.  And you can throw in doctors and such for good measure.  Every word, note, brush stroke, and diagnosis is spoon fed to those so endowed by Hashem. 

Not exactly an ego booster for the kochi v’otzem yadi crowd, but we’re not running a self esteem clinic here, so deal with it.

Then we queried:

Endowed by Hashem to do what exactly?  If every jot and tittle is by way of Hashem then what separates the creative personality from the unwashed masses?

Fair question this and we answered:

In much the same way that a given radio frequency can pull in a broadcast set to that frequency, creative people have been hard wired from the get go of their existence to process the creative flashes that Hashem is sending them.  It’s not that a writer has been given the ability to write.  He has rather been blessed with the genius to take Divine dictation because it’s all from Hashem, typos included.

I wrote it, to be sure, but as it turns out I didn’t fully comprehend the import of what I was saying.  Looking back, it’s apparent now that my grasp of the words was only intellectual whereas emotionally I was still treading water.

Recently, I wrote a piece in which ninety-five per cent of the words belonged to someone else.  I had given proper attribution to the originator of the ideas that I was quoting in addition to repositioning several paragraphs, not to mention adding a few key stage directions that took the piece somewhat past the original thrust of my source material.

Nevertheless, I still felt unfulfilled in that there were too many of yenem’s words and not enough of my own.

In the words my own are subsumed a fundamental misunderstanding of much of what we wrote in EmunahSpeak: Swordfish, the essential paragraphs of which were quoted above.

When we said, it’s not that a writer has been given the ability to write.  He has rather been blessed with the genius to take Divine dictation because it’s all from Hashem, typos included, I failed to realize that Hashem challenges the creative individual with what are seemingly two voices.  Sometimes He feeds me yenem’s words to be manipulated however slightly and other times He feeds me words which I am foolish enough to think are my own.

But in reality they’re neither.

Hashem is sole master of the inspirational vocabulary for as we said above, every word, note, brush stroke, and diagnosis is spoon fed to us by Hashem and they belong to Him and Him alone.