emunah, tefillah, a little mussar, and a shmeck of geula

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fundamentally Flawed



On my recent trip to Eretz Yisroel I was asked by a very nice lady, who had sat on the other side of the empty seat that separated us during our flight, if I could help with her luggage and I readily agreed figuring that I would be stuck there for an hour or more, as was always the case, waiting for my own luggage to arrive.

As it turns out, I was surprised (shocked would be more accurate) to find that my suitcase was one of the first to come off the conveyor and onto the baggage carousel.

I was in a hurry to get to Yerushalayim and it occurred to me that maybe her luggage wouldn’t put in an appearance any time soon.  I didn’t wish to be bogged by this lady’s luggage so I quickly scanned the crowd for a replacement and readily noted that there was any number of people who would gladly help her without even being asked to do so.  So with clear conscience I quickly gathered my things.

I then asked her to watch my stuff while I went to freshen up a bit.  As I walked to the facilities I went through a whole back and forth in my head as to whether or not I should help her in any case even though there were many others who could perform this chesed just as easily. 

By the time I had washed my hands I had thoroughly weighed the pros and cons of hanging around to help this lady and I had come to the conclusion that it would be the right thing to do despite the aforesaid plethora of qualified replacements.

Mazel tov!

I had decided to do a chesed.

As I was basking in the light of my momentary righteousness I suddenly remembered that I had been forced to check a hat box at JFK that now had to be picked up at the oversized luggage counter here in Ben Gurion.  Had I left the airport as I had originally planned I would have left without it.  It wasn’t until I had decided to remain to assist the lady with her things that Hashem reminded me about my hat.

Within seconds I had connected the dots but then I remembered something I had recently heard at the levaya of Rav Mechel Tropper z"l.  Here I was sifting through the Yeas and Neys of performing a chesed with the default position being not to do it unless I could justify it which, Boruch Hashem, I did.  This is what most of us do on a daily basis but the whole thought process is fundamentally flawed.

Rav Mechel’s attitude toward chesed was just the opposite.  His default position was to always do whatever chesed appeared on his screen with only a serious objection to doing it given any weight, because when an opportunity to do a chesed came his way he would ask himself:

Why should I not do the chesed?